Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Auld Lang Syne

The end of this year has been a rough one, but me and mine are finally on the mend -- though it's been a chore to get even a fraction of my energy back.  Suffice it to say, while the flu didn't kill me it definitely knee-capped me, stole my lunch money, and left me crying in the dirt.  But besides mortality, it's given me pause to examine this past year.

2013 was no banner year, for me.  I've made no net gains in the career department: I've started a new book, but I've not finished it; I've had a few small successes in the quest to have Men of Bronze reach the small screen, but nothing that has truly improved my situation.  I've rejoined the civilian workforce.

No matter how much I needed it, no matter how much I appreciate the chance to earn a few extra dollars to keep my little family afloat, going back to work in a non-creative capacity has been a knife to the soul.  I have dealt with it in my own way, but the year will ever have a black mark beside it to commemorate the event.  I don't do resolutions, but I DO have a list of goals I'd like to accomplish by this time next year.

1. Finish A Gathering of Ravens.
2. Start either The Damascene Blade or another ancient Greek novel.
3. Team up with my script-writing partner for an adaptation of The Lion of Cairo.
4. Get ahead enough financially that I might be able to withdraw once more from the civilian workforce and devote my time to writing.

I will not be sad to see 2013 go.  I hope its replacement holds more promise, and I can finally get back to fighting trim and start releasing books . . .

The Tallies and such will return in the New Year, along with ferocious determination (he says).  Until then, I wish you and yours a very happy New Year!

1 comment:

Keith West said...

Scott, I hope 2014 is a vast improvement for you. Hang in there and keep writing.